Motivation is KEY
Motivation is a key part of any weight loss or fitness journey. Losing weight isn’t easy, though for most people gaining the weight was (annoying, right?). You could have all the tools in front of you to lose weight, but if you don’t have the motivation to do it, you are probably not going to succeed. If you are considering embarking on a weight loss or fitness journey, you need to figure out what it is that will motivate you. If you are currently on a journey, take a look back and see what it is that’s motivating you. And if you have tried to lose weight before and it didn’t work, think back and ask yourself where you motivated and if so what was it that motivated you? Chances are, your weight loss or fitness journey didn’t work before, what motivated you was not strong enough. Remember, I have said it before LOSING WEIGHT IS HARD! Usually you have to change more than one thing and make hard choices. Because of that, you need to have STRONG motivations to make these changes.
I personally feel that you can have different motivations for different aspects of the journey; what motivates you to go to the gym for example might not be the same motivation that has you eating healthier. What motivates you might not be the same as what motivates your best friend or husband. People will have different things that motivate them and that is 100% okay! Remember, this is your journey, if you try to use what motivates someone else it might not work for you. I plan to review what motivates me to go to the gym, what motivates me at the gym, and what motivates me to make healthier food choices.
What Motivates ME to workout.
Before starting my journey in 2016, I had maybe gone to the gym twice a month (if that) over the course of the last 5 years or so. So going to the gym was obviously not part of my lifestyle. However, I made it part of my life because what motivated me to go everyday was strong. In 2016, there were 3 big things that got me to push myself and workout.
- I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. Not only prove that I could go to the gym, but also that if I was determined I could lose weight.
- I wanted to be able to find clothes at stores like Target that fit me. I didn’t want to always have to go to the plus section or order online.
- I had my 1st cruise/ tropical vacation in February of 2017 to look forward to. I wanted to not only look, but also feel good in a bathing suit.
For me, these 3 things were strong enough to get me workout almost every day. They weren’t necessary the things that kept me pushing through workouts (that’s a post for another day). Now that I have lost 60 pounds I have found that these things do not motivated me much anymore. Why? Well, my trip is over, I can now fit into clothes in the regular section of Target, and I did prove to myself that I could lose weight. It took me some time to realize why I wasn’t as motivated to go to the gym anymore. My motivations from last year were not strong enough this year to get me to the workout. I needed NEW motivations. So for 2017, I found 3 new things that were strong enough to motivate me to workout again.
- Weddings – I have 3 this summer in Minnesota and 1 in Mexico next February. Everyone wants to look good at weddings and since I am single it won’t hurt look good in case I meet a cute guy at one of these weddings 😉
- Getting new clothes – I am not someone who goes shopping all the time. But I have told myself when items get too big/baggy I will get rid of them and get a new item which is so exciting!
- My personal transformation – throughout my journey people told me I looked smaller, I noticed that my pants and shirts were getting too big, and that the scale was going down. All of that is great. But seeing side by side transformation pictures from 2016 to 2017 was huge! The pictures below almost rejuvenated me and have pushed me to keep going.
LEFT: SPRING 2016 RIGHT: SPRING 2017